With many school districts in the greater Pittsburgh area starting next week, we thought this information would be very useful for Pittsburgh natives and Pittsburgh newcomers alike! Congrats to Mt. Lebanon Area School District and Upper St. Clair Area School District for making it in the Top 10 in Niche.com’s 2018 Best School District’s in Pennsylvania.
You might be wondering how these results are calculated. According to the website:
“The 2018 Best School Districts ranking is based on rigorous analysis of key statistics and millions of reviews from students and parents using data from the U.S. Department of Education. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, public school district ratings, and more.”
Mt. Lebanon was ranked as #7! The school district, which consists of 10 schools and 5,305 students, got an A+ in every category of Niche’s “report card”, except Diversity where it got a C. Other categories on this report card include: Academics, Teachers, Clubs & Activities, Administration (where it received an A, not an A+) Food, Diversity (where it received a C), College Prep, Health & Safety (another A), Sports (an A), and Resources & Facilities (another A was received here). Niche.com gave Mt. Lebanon these additional rankings:
- #3 out of 497 for districts with the best teachers in PA
- #13 out of 497 for best places to teach in PA
Upper St. Clair school district followed close behind Mt. Lebanon as #8! This school district, which consists of 6 schools and 4,089 students compared similar categories with grades of: Academics (A+), Teachers (A+), Clubs & Activities (A+), Administration (B+), Food (A+), Diversity (C), College Prep (A+), Health & Safety (A+), Sports (A), & Resources & Facilities (A+). In addition, Niche.com gave Upper St. Clair the following rankings:
- #5 out of 497 for districts with the best teachers in PA
- #16 out of 497 for best places to teach in PA
Additional notable schools in the greater Pittsburgh that made the list include:
- North Allegheny School District ranked as #3 on the list.
- Fox Chapel Area School District ranked as #6 on the list.
Greater Pittsburgh Area School District Start Dates:
Hopefully you already know when your school district is starting, but in case you’ve recently moved to the area, check out these local start dates for schools in the greater Pittsburgh area:
- Bethel Park: Monday, September 12, 2017
- Canon-McMillan: Monday, August 29, 2017
- Chartiers-Houston: Tuesday, September 6, 2017
- Cornell, Mars, Moon, North Hills, Pine Richland, & Sewickley Academy also start on Tuesday, September 6, 2017.
- Fox Chapel – Wednesday, August 24, 2017
- Mt. Lebanon: Monday August 29, 2017
- Peters Township, Quaker Valley, Upper St. Clair, & West Allegheny also start on Monday, August 29, 2017
If we somehow missed your school district, a complete list of the greater Pittsburgh area school districts’ start dates can be found on WPXI.com.
More Reasons to Move to Pittsburgh!
Until Next Time,